Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The view from November 30

Today we ran 12 miles on the Lost Valley road.  The trail runs past a man-made lake which in past years contained a lot of fish, until it was drained last year.  Seemed like a big waste to me, but now it's full of water again.  This time of year the lake is frozen and the roads and campgrounds around it are usually unplowed during winter, so it makes for a good sleddog trail.  This year, however, the road has been plowed past the the lake aways, so today's run was just through the pine forest.  It's a pretty run, with snow-covered trees, white winter skies, and happy dogs.  Bessie was single leading today and was wonderful as always.  About half the run was in the dark, and during that winter night I rewrote the classic Christmas carol "The Twelve Days of Christmas" with a mushing theme:


♫On the 1st day of Christmas my truelove sent to me: a puppy in a parka
On the 2nd day of Christmas my truelove sent to me: two mukluks and a puppy in a parka
On the 3rd day of Christmas my truelove sent to me: three basket sleds..........and a puppy in a parka
On the 4th day of Christmas my truelove sent to me: four booties................and a puppy in a parka
On the 5th day of Christmas my truelove sent to me: five gold snowhooks..........and a puppy in a parka
On the 6th day of Christmas my truelove sent to me: six huskies howling..........and a puppy in a parka
On the 7th day of Christmas my truelove sent to me: 7 handlers handling.........and a puppy in a parka
On the 8th day of Christmas my truelove sent to me: 8 mushers mushing..........and a puppy in a parka
On the 9th day of Christmas my truelove sent to me: 9 team dogs trotting........and a puppy in a parka
On the 10th day of Christmas my truelove sent to me: 10 wheel dogs pulling.....and a puppy in a parka
On the 11th day of Christmas my truelove sent to me: 11 swing dogs loping......and a puppy in a parka
On the 12th day of Christmas my truelove sent to me: 12 lead dogs leading.......and a puppy in a parka.♫

Woof!

~Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment